[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue May 6 15:24:00 PDT 2003

>>The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) provides an Adobe
>> PhotoShop-like
>>graphics dev space. I like it more than PhotoShop. I dont use Adobe
>>Illustrator or Fireworks, and dont do much PDF creation, so others may
>>have ideas here.
>
> I am by no means an expert on Photoshop or the GIMP, but the only thing
> I've
> found to be in Photoshop but not the GIMP is the "magnetic lasso"
> (essentially a free-hand selection tool with edge detection; useful for
> doing cut-and-paste with photographs).  Otherwise, it seems that the GIMP
> is
> at least as powerful as Photoshop.

Have you tried the "magic wand" that comes with the gimp? It permits you
to select regions, and you can alter the threshold for colors considered
to be beyond a "border" initialy selected. This permit selecting only a
face by clicking on the face, or just the water.

There is also a "lasso" which allows for manual selection of regions, and
used with control/shift can be a good combination to getting  your
selection narrowed down.

-ME