[NBLUG/talk] RH question

Steve srj at adnd.com
Wed May 21 12:57:01 PDT 2003

The way I understand it, the i686 stuff is just compiled for
i686 optimization.. same story with the i386, and since i686 is 100%
backwards compatible, the i386 stuff will work just fine and not cause any
problems.. It's just not compiled to be as efficient as it can be.

-Steve

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:38:51PM -0700, Jim Bianchi wrote:

> 	I'm installing RH 8.0 on a laptop (Dell C600) I've just received.
> This system is an i686. On the RH distro CDs are a lot of RPMs with the
> designation i386. Now, when dealing with kernel RPMs, I assume I'd use
> those marked i686, but how about other programs? If I try to use one that
> is marked i386, will it work or will my laptop start to generate large
> quantities of bluish-grey smoke?
>
> --
> jimbo at sonic.net       Jim Bianchi   Santa Rosa   California
>
>         Eclectic Garbanzo BBS ** (707) 539-1279 ** 28.8kbps
>
> 	Remember Flight 93 -- "Let's roll!"

----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu