[NBLUG/talk] RH question

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed May 21 15:23:00 PDT 2003

Generally there are only a few packages that are i686 specific, kernel, glibc,
openssl, kernel-smp, etc.

As a general rule always pick the package closest to your architecture, then
choose the more general arch.  Generally you can't go wrong with i386
packages.

Most packages can be recompiled as i686 if desired but I think redhat has
picked out the packages that make the most difference performance wise and
distributed i686 specific packages.

NOTE: Things don't work very well if you install i686, then Freshen or UPgrade
with i386 packages....  Keep it consistent, remember which packages are i686
specific when it comes time to upgrade a package.....  I know....from finding
out the hard way..

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer