[NBLUG/talk] /dev/dsp proxy?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Sat May 24 10:28:00 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 03:55:52AM -0700, error wrote:
> So I can point my program to send sound out to a given device but really
> that device is a proxy that acts like 'tee' for the sound data.
>
> so it would really be like this:
>
> /dev/dsp (is a symlink to /dev/dsptee)
>
> and /dev/dsptee just redirects to a file and to /dev/dsp0
>
> That would allow any data sent to the audio device to be sent to the
> file as well as the output device.
>
> Does such a program exsist?
> It seems as simple as a named pipe but it also seems like that may be
> too simple ;-)

esd + esddsp + esd{cat,watch,wav,idunno}

esd is a /dev/dsp proxy.  A multiplexing proxy, specifically.  esddsp is a
script that sets environment variables to capture all /dev/dsp activity and
send it over to esd; you run 'esddsp somecommand'.  There's also a command
that can be run to capture an outgoing stream of the data, but I can't
recall which one it is off the top of my head.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore