[NBLUG/talk] atalkd.conf question

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Oct 1 11:09:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 09:18:48PM -0700, dant3 wrote:
> When configuring the atalkd.conf file, one needs to do something like this:
>
> eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1-3 -addr 2.4 -zone enders

I believe you can leave -net and -addr out entirely unless you have multiple
distinct appletalk networks operating on the same ethernet network or you're
trying to configure this atalkd setup as a router or something...

IOW, replace all that with:
eth0 -phase 2

Appletalk's always been designed to automatically figure things out.  When
you set things manually, you're telling atalkd "hey, ignore what the other
machines out there are doing; I don't care about talking to *them*, I just
want to talk to other machines that agree with me."

If you do have a multi-zone and multi-network setting, you may need to do
some of those things.

IIRC, atalkd will edit its own configuration; as long as you're keeping it
in the same network, let it.  If you switch to a totally new network, you
may need to reset it back to "eth0 -phase 2" first.

> 1st: How important is it to get -net and -addr "right"?  Is there a ballpark
> that works?

If they're in use, very important.  Otherwise it asks around and tries to
figure out what's available and uses that, which is generally what you want.

> 3rd: Why did -zone change from -zone one to -zone "other"?  The quotes were
> added secretly behind my back by some mischievous Linux daemon, I swear.

Probably because everything else on the network is in "other" and it refused
to go along with your zone suggestion?
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large