[NBLUG/talk] DHCP/M$ NT question

Glen Gunsalus g-gunsalus at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 7 22:16:01 PDT 2003

Apologies if this is too far off subject, I'm a long time *nix *nux user
with just enough knowledge of M$ OSs to do minimal damage.  :-)

This may be a bit off subject, but I'm at a deadend and my wife is in
Palo Alto suffering with dial-up because her hotel dhcp won't do the job.
The local help tried all their tricks and then said they couldn't go
further becaouse of possible liability problems (sounds to me like they
just couldn't do the troubleshooting so issued bogus excuse).

Background:

M$ NT laptop with linksys pcmpc100 10/100 enet card trying to pick up
IP from DHCP server.

This works fine on my non-routed home network using RH7.3 box as dhcp
server (isc-dhcpd-V3.0pl1) and win server (Samba 2.2.3a).

However, she gets error message to the effect that dhcp client can't
get IP.

 From what I can see, the TCP/IP config is ok, but the local help says
it keeps looking for the dhcp server at the address I use at home.
This is after messing with TCP/IP config, running ipconfig/renew,
ipconfig/renew_all, etc.

Anyone have any pointers?