[NBLUG/talk] Virus scanning in linux and sendmail.

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Fri Sep 19 09:22:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 08:38:27AM -0700, Jeremy Turner wrote:
> I think there's a package called amavis or something like that which
> hooks into most major MTAs with no big issues.

http://www.amavis.org/

I'd looked into this; we never quite set it up, though.  It can work with
sendmail, postfix, qmail or exim, generally via whichever architecture is
most appropriate for that MTA.  (for instance, with sendmail it uses the
efficient "milter" interface instead of weird multi-queue interfaces,
theoretically making it possible to reject virus-infected email while the
remote end is still sending it to your server)

One *big* caveat, though:
amavis does *not* include a virus scanner.  It's a generalized interface
between several MTAs and many virus scanners, so you need to provide it with
a virus scanner and an MTA, and virus software still tends to cost money.