[NBLUG/talk] Gotchas on installing debian on new disk

Glen Gunsalus G-Gunsalus at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 1 12:32:22 PST 2004

I want to install debian on a new disk on my current machine (running RH7.3)
so would appreciate any pointers on pitfalls, etc.

My current system is on hda (with auxiliary files on sd[0-9]).   I've
installed a new disk (hdb) and will install debian there.

My thinking is to build new environment while keeping my RH setup operational
(if it ain't broke don't fix it) then cleaning out hda and swapping hda/hdb so
the new debian disk is master (hda).

Soo.... if I go this route, I have to revise /etc/fstab on the new system to
account for disk reversal.  Anything else?

Or does it make more sense to set up new disk as hda and make mods so RH runs
from hdb?

Anyone have any thoughts/gotchas I should be on the lookout for?

THIA