[NBLUG/talk] Gotchas on installing debian on new disk

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Wed Dec 1 14:17:17 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 12:32:22PM -0800, Glen Gunsalus wrote:
} I want to install debian on a new disk on my current machine (running RH7.3)
} so would appreciate any pointers on pitfalls, etc.
}
} My current system is on hda (with auxiliary files on sd[0-9]).   I've
} installed a new disk (hdb) and will install debian there.
}
} My thinking is to build new environment while keeping my RH setup operational
} (if it ain't broke don't fix it) then cleaning out hda and swapping hda/hdb so
} the new debian disk is master (hda).
}
} Soo.... if I go this route, I have to revise /etc/fstab on the new system to
} account for disk reversal.  Anything else?

You will also have to change the lilo or grub configuration
to boot from hda instead of hdb.

} Or does it make more sense to set up new disk as hda and make mods so RH runs
} from hdb?

Doesn't matter.  If you blow away the redhat installation be sure to
keep the /etc directory stashed somewhere for reference.  Use the Debian
sarge/testing installer, not the old stable/woody installer.  It's much
better and woody will be obsolete real soon.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us