[NBLUG/talk] Which Distro.

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Jun 9 10:55:58 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:15:51AM -0700, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> for what it's worth, eric did the tweaking of the apt sources file and a few
> other apt-related configs on the box, so i'm not 100% sure that the *only*
> thing we're using is the testing branch, but i am pretty sure that's what
> we've got setup.
>
> eric - would you are to add anything?

We have apt.sources configured with stable, testing and unstable.  However,
using /etc/apt/preferences it's configured to specifically avoid unstable.
This allows us to install software from unstable if we want, but normally
unstable will be ignored.

/etc/apt/preferences looks like this:
Package: *
Pin: release unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

while /etc/apt/apt.conf looks like this:
APT::Cache-Limit "14194304";
APT::Default-Release "sarge";

(The cache-limit may not be required, and i honestly don't recall how in the
world that specific number came up.  If I recall correctly, we were having
problems with the default (2^23) being too small.)

So, if I were to, say, run "apt-get install mysql-server", I'd get the
version that's currently in testing (since its newer than what's in stable).
I run "apt-cache show mysql-server" I get a list of 4 different versions
(stable, security update to stable, testing and unstable, I believe).  If I
run "apt-get install mysql-server/unstable" I would get the most recent
version.  Or I could run "apt-get install mysql-server=4.0.20-2" to get the
same version (that happens to be the version that's there.).

The personal server that a friend and I use is configured very similarly.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large