[NBLUG/talk] MythTV Monster Lives

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Mar 10 09:43:01 PST 2004

All the parts were in place, the Fedora Core 1 OS was loaded.  The WinTV PVR
250 TV Tuner card arrived on Tuesday, today I have a fully functional MythTV
box with only some minor tuning of the remote control to consider.

P4 3.0G 800Mhz Hyperthreaded running smp kernel
1G RAM
360G of disk 1 - 160G, 2 - 80G  WD ATA 100
Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 256M RAM
Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-250
5 Channel built in sound chip - using ALSA

What a slick piece of code these guys and gals have put together.  It wasn't
easy to navigate through getting it all setup and configured, but pure
determination and a few meditation sessions really helps.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/index.php
I found this HOWTO the most enlightening and helpful as it gathers most of the
mailing list pearls of wisdom and various web references into one place.  My
installation was a mixture of rpm packages, source rpm packages and building
from source code.

The installation includes:
MythMusic - Rip your own CD's create custom playlists
MythTV - Watch live - buffers 5G back for rewind of live TV or record shows
later
MythVideo - Encode Movies
MythPictures - drag your pictures off your camera and present slide show
MythWeather - Weather report for your chosen location
MythNews - News Feeds from CNN and Linux sites
MythDVD - play or record your DVD's or VCD's
MythWeb - Web Browser embedded into MythTV interface

Wow!!!
--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer