[NBLUG/talk] Linux newbie needs help installing NIC module

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sat Mar 20 17:41:03 PST 2004

apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18
or get the deb package onto another machine and burn it onto a ROM to get the
source onto the laptop.  I had to do all that stuff when I first setup my
5100.

Then compile your broadcom drivers against the 2.4.18 kernel source and see if
it goes.

I think the latest stable Debian kernel is a 2.4.19 package.

From the Makfile of the Broadcom driver, the first thing it looks for is the
current kernel version and if the source is available.

#!/usr/bin/make
# Makefile for building Linux Broadcom Gigabit ethernet driver as a module.
# $id$

# PREFIX may be set by the RPM build to set the effective root.
PREFIX=
ifeq ($(shell ls /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo
build),)
  ifeq ($(shell ls /usr/src/linux > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo linux),)
    LINUX=
  else
    LINUX=/usr/src/linux
  endif
else
  LINUX=/lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
endif

ifeq ($(LINUX),)
  $(error Linux kernel source tree not found)
endif
-------------------

On Saturday 20 March 2004 05:02 pm, wtf at sonic.net wrote:
> I don't have anything in /usr/src/linux that looks like kernel source
> code. How would I get that there?
> I tried upgrading the kernel on this thing once and failed miserably, so
> I'm kinda trying to stick with kernels installed with the OS.

> > I have the Broadcomm 4401 100M NIC in my Inspiron 5100.
> >
> > I run a later 2.4.22 kernel on my Insprion 5100, the module is now part
> > of the  stock kernel from Red Hat - b44.o
> >
> > kernel config option on my 2.4.22 - CONFIG_B44=m
> > This is also the case for the 2.6.3 kernels I have built.
> >
> > I used to have to compile the module for each kernel.  I still have the
> > 3.0.7  source code release for the Broadcom 4401.  I may still have the
> > source for  the older 2.0.5 driver, which may work with the 2.4.18
> > kernels.
> >
> > Make sure you have your kernel source code located in /usr/src/linux or
> > the  module will not compile.  If you have no luck with their latest
> > driver I  would probably recommend building a newer kernel and go with
> > that.  I did  have some problems getting their driver to compile
> > sometimes as I used to  build rpms out of their source.  I was glad when
> > they integrated the driver  into the kernel.
> >
> > On Saturday 20 March 2004 02:54 pm, wtf at sonic.net wrote:
> >> I just installed Debian Woody on my Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop. The
> >> 2.4.18 kernel that comes with it does not have support for the NIC,
> >> which is a Broadcomm 4400 gigabit NIC. I have downloaded the drivers
> >> and extracted the tarball, but make errors out with tons of "parse
> >> error before ___" where the blank is filled in with different names
> >> such as 'pPacket' and 'pUmPacket'
> >> then after the pages of errors:
> >> make: *** [b44um.o] Error 1
> >>
> >> Do I need to do something to the Makefile?
> >> Is any more information needed?
> >
> > --
> > Mark Street, D.C.
> > Red Hat Certified Engineer
> > Cert# 807302251406074
> > --
> > Key fingerprint = 3949 39E4 6317 7C3C 023E  2B1F 6FB3 06E7 D109 56C0 GPG
> > key http://www.streetchiro.com/pubkey.asc

Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Cert# 807302251406074