[NBLUG/talk] nasty messages from the kernel

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Tue May 11 18:15:19 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:53:38PM -0700, micxz at slashdomain wrote:
}
} Here's an excerpt from a posting to the NFS mailing list
} from Neil Brown:
} -------------Included message-----------------------
}   Previously anonymous dentries were hashed (though with no name, the
}   hash was pretty meaningless).  This meant that they would hang around
}   after the last reference was dropped.  This was actually fairly
}   pointless as they would never get referenced again, and caused a real
}   problem as umount wouldn't discard them and so you got the message
}                 printk("VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. "
}                         "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice
} day...\n");
}
}   In 2.4.6-pre3 I stopped hashing those dentries so now when the last
}   reference is dropped, the dentry is freed.  So now there will never be
}   more anonymous dentries than there are active nfsd threads.
}
} From:
}
} http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg53163.html

I don't fully understand all that (and the link), but it implies that
the problem was fixed in 2.4.6 and I'm using 2.4.20-28.9smp (RedHat).
I guess I'm seeing something a little different than the examples they
used.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com