[NBLUG/talk] installation of cd-rw drive on red hat 8

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Fri May 28 17:24:08 PDT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 04:57:58PM -0700, Mohandas Gandhi wrote:
> hi--
> i am planning on installing a phillips cd-rw drive on my hp pavillion (really old) currently housing a pentium at 233 MHz. How should i do this? Do i need any downloadable drivers?

No, your system should already come with all the "drivers" you need, since
cd-rw drives are pretty well standardized.  (at least IDE and SCSI ones are;
I think most USB and Firewire (ieee1394) cd-rw drives are quite standard,
but a few may not be)

I think with RedHat 8, you simply have to shut down the system, install the
drive, turn on the system and wait for it to ask about the new device (and
choose to configure it)...  there might be one more reboot needed after
that, but probably not...  We can help you with the two or three things I
can think of that it's possible the system would miss in setting this up.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large