[NBLUG/talk] Re: 2.6.9 kernel boots without virtual consoles

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 10 22:08:03 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 21:41, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> I just found a more pressing problem. My USB memory key no longer
> works. :-P I used to be able to access it via mount /dev/sda; now
> mount /dev/sda reports "invalid block device." The original reason I
> compiled the kernel was so I could build a kernel with drivers for
> another USB toy; now I can't seem to run any USB devices.

Check that you have the following drivers available:
1. scsi_mod
2. usbcore
3. uhci_hcd
4. ohci_hcd
5. uhci_hcd
6. usb_storage

You probably won't need all of them (you need #1, #2, and #6, but only
one of #3, #4, and #5), but if you load all of them, your USB mass
storage device should work.

If it still doesn't work, see if you can re-install the old kernel, then
find out what modules are loaded after you use the USB device.  That
should provide at least a few clues.

> I also noticed that I don't have sound anymore, not that that's a big deal.

Did you compile OSS drivers or ALSA drivers?  If you compiled ALSA
drivers, you'll need to:

1. Set up the ALSA modules to load instead of the former OSS modules.  I
don't know how that is accomplished under SuSE Linux.

2. Ensure that you've loaded the "snd_pcm_oss" and "snd_mixer_oss"
modules.  These allow the ALSA system to talk to applications built for
the older OSS standard.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>