[NBLUG/talk] locals: any 3Ware 8600 with Debian experience?

troy fryman at sonic.net
Fri Nov 12 10:14:55 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:56:17PM -0800, error wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 17:36, Daniel Smith wrote:
> > >
> > Is that for 2.4 or 2.6?  thanks so far, and for any links
>
> I use the 2.6 kernel at the moment, I think it's fine but I am starting
> to shift and agree with kyle.

The problem with 2.6 is not that it's unstable right now -- on the
contrary, it's performance (especially under load) and stability are
superior to vanilla 2.4.  The problem that a lot of us have with it is
in the new development model.  It's kind of a long story, but what it boils
down to is that it's much easier now for a buggy feature to be
introduced to the kernel, or for something you're depending on to be
temporarily broken or even ripped out entirely.

I personally run 2.6 on any desktop because its interactive performance
is vastly superior to vanilla 2.4 [1].  On production servers, 2.6. is
fine, but be wary and do your homework before upgrading a 2.6 kernel or
depending upon any esoteric features.  I'd also avoid anything but very
popular hardware.

-troy

[1] Con Kolivas' 2.4 interactivity patchset helps a lot in this regard.
http://www.plumlocosoft.com/kernel/