[NBLUG/talk] KDE Crash Message

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 11 21:17:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 20:10, Doug Miller wrote:
> It's just that the big bright KDE Crash Handler keeps poping up with the
> same debugging merssage--
>
> no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...0x41021bd8
> in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
> #0  0x41021bd8 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
> #1  0x406e8cb0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
> #2  0x4064811c in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler(int) ()
>    from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4

This isn't too unusual; programs usually are compiled without debugging
symbols, since those symbols require extra memory and disk space and
don't serve any useful purpose unless the program crashes.
Unfortunately, I've found that re-compiling the program(s) with symbols,
or even replacing an installed package with one that is identical except
for having debugging symbols, is often a non-trivial task.

>  ( This seems to happen when I close a Mozillia navigator window. )

That's odd, since Mozilla is not a KDE application.  What program does
it tell you has crashed when you close Mozilla?

> (Oh, and there was this warning during compilation that my glib.**
> something was different that the version used to compile mplayer or
> nvidia; but mine was newer, and newer is always better, isn't it? )

Newer is usually better, but sometimes the newer version works in a way
that is sufficiently different from the old version that programs that
depend on the old version break with the new version.  I don't know if
that's what you're dealing with, but it's worth remembering.

It should be obvious if something like that did break (because if it
did, mplayer probably won't run at all).  Hopefully, if something did
break with the new version of glib (or could it be glibc?), it will be
fixed fairly soon.  Hopefully.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

It seems that more and more mathematicians are using a new, high level
language named "research student".