[NBLUG/talk] Redhat 9 -> Fedora Core 4 upgrade: SOLVED

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Wed Aug 17 20:07:17 PDT 2005

Hey -

I managed to solve my problem, but I'll offer a few comments as well.

First the good news:  I finally realized I could just scp a working
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file from another workstation (same Dell box, same
Dell flat panel).  The other station runs FC2, but what the heck - it
worked!

The suggestions/ideas I received here were helpful, but the machine
had neither an 'xorgconfig' nor an 'xorgsetup' (saw that on google).
I couldn't tell if xfs was running because I couldn't get past single
user mode; and remember that I couldn't even get another console.

Mark's & Troy's suggestions to check the xorg*log proved interesting.
I wrote the following lines down from /var/log/xorg.0.log (so forgive
me if they don't exactly match the correct output).  I found this by
searching for 'EE' like Troy suggested:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(EE) xf86Openserial:  cannot open device /dev/mouse
     No such fiel or directory
(EE) Mouse1: cannot open input device
(EE) Pre Init failed for input device "mouse1"
No core pointer
Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core device
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I checked, and there was indeed no /dev/mouse.  A Google hit suggested
creating a link: ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse
...but that didn't work.

It was about here that I realized I should try copying a working conf
file. I'm not sure how the files got so bungled, but perhaps this will
prove helpful to somebody.

Thanks again, everybody.

-dave.

--