[NBLUG/talk] xhost

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Thu Feb 10 08:25:44 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:15:59AM +0000, Ian Sutherland wrote:
> Debian sarge.
> How do I configure (xhost) so that I can acces Xserver when I change from
> localhost to "su" without using xhost +?

There's a few solutions, the least desirable of which is actually using
xhost.  (I'm assuming you mean that you've logged in with gdm or xdm as a
regular user and that you're su-ing to root)

Instead of su, you could use "ssh -X root at localhost".  This will forward X
back to you.  This works well remotely, too.

Assuming that the regular user is "ian", you could run this:
"xauth merge ~ian/.Xauthority" and this: "export DISPLAY=:0.0"

Or you could do something like these:
"xhost local:" "xhost localhost", "xhost 127.0.0.1",
"xhost whateveryoursystemisnamed".
(I think the first is technically what's required for a DISPLAY of :0.0, the
2nd or third for "localhost:0"...)

I recommend one of the first two.  xhost introduces subtle security issues
that the other two don't have.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder, Scribe and InstallFest Coordinator