[NBLUG/talk] Intermittent USB controller failure

troy troy at zenux.net
Mon Jan 31 10:52:48 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 02:36:26PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> So maybe the root hub itself is overheating?  I've been working on
> improving the cooling within my tower, but now it looks like I have
> ANOTHER reason to do so!

It's interesting that you should mention heat as a problem.  I was
thinking the other day about your series of failed hard drives and
it occurred to me that excessive heat is probably the biggest
contributor to early disk failure.

With this usb issue, I would definitely take a close look at your
cooling situation.

Also, check out lsusb -v from the usbutils package.

-troy