[NBLUG/talk] Init script stoped working in debian.

mrp mrp at sonic.net
Mon Jan 31 16:12:28 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:40:24PM -0800, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> That's because . /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail; is attempting to be
> parsed as a shell script. You're doing that against a binary file.
> Remove the "." and it will work. But it's a dirty hack, you dirty hacker
> you ;-)

I'm worried that it "suddenly" stopped working.  Why did
/usr/share/sendmail/sendmail go from being a shellscript to an executable.

This is the kind of thing that sets off my paranoia.  Is there any chance
you've been hacked? Replacing files run by init scripts is a common tactic
of rootkits.

  -- Mitch