[NBLUG/talk] Init script stoped working in debian.

Steve Johnson gnuguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 16:25:14 PST 2005

No, I know how it happened.. the last time I compiled sendmail (I had
forgotten this part, until Jacob and I talked in chat.) I did a search
on the system for the sendmail binary, and replaced them all.. Real
dumb thing to do..  so the binary in the /usr/share/sendmail
directoryu md5sum matches the main sendmail binary.

It was my screw up, and now I need to dig my way out of it.. But.. at
least I know whats going on now.. which is the main reason for posting
the question. =)

-Steve

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:12:28 -0800, mrp <mrp at sonic.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:40:24PM -0800, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> > That's because . /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail; is attempting to be
> > parsed as a shell script. You're doing that against a binary file.
> > Remove the "." and it will work. But it's a dirty hack, you dirty hacker
> > you ;-)
>
> I'm worried that it "suddenly" stopped working.  Why did
> /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail go from being a shellscript to an executable.
>
> This is the kind of thing that sets off my paranoia.  Is there any chance
> you've been hacked? Replacing files run by init scripts is a common tactic
> of rootkits.
>
>   -- Mitch

      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu
|C8H10N4O2|