[NBLUG/talk] Linux-oriented PC recycling? (WRT NYTimes "disposable" PC article)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jul 18 11:52:03 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:16:03AM -0700, S. Saunders wrote:
> If "we" (as a community, nationwide) could sustain a Win2Linux recyclery
> aimed at education and training sites, we could (in time; this is a plan
> for the patient!) end up with a MUCH more *NIX-savvy and *NIX-accepting
> "General Public".

You guys should talk to Steve Hargadon in Sacramento.
(He spoke at LUGOD in Davis and SVLUG in the South Bay recently):

  http://www.technologyrescue.com/

It's program of Steve's "Hargadon Computer," which has been recycling PCs
for a number of years.  Tech. Rescue turns them into thin clients and run
K12LTSP (Linux Terminal Server for K12 education) at schools.

Mostly private schools, since they have less beuracracy to get
through, compared to public schools.  They've done stuff in Hawaii, Calif.,
Utah, Illinois and has or will be setting stuff up in Kenya, Africa.

Note: Their site seems a little hard to connect to at the moment. YMMV.

bill at newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th