[NBLUG/talk] Re: Which distro is best for a newbie?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jun 23 12:13:55 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:03:40PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 11:38 -0700, Clay Carley wrote:
> > Debian takes a long time for major O/S updates.  I think it's been two years
> > between the "woody" version and the new "sarge" version.
>
> Two years?  It seemed *much* longer than that.  The last time I messed
> around with Debian/woody, the applications were the same versions as
> when I used RedHat 6.1, which, if I remember correctly, was in 1999.
> That was six years ago!

Debian is apparently rectifying that situation in upcoming versions
(mainly by 'dumping' support for some less common architectures [1]).

Also, if you track the Testing branch, things seem to work pretty well,
and you're only ~2 weeks behind (versus months for other distros, and years
for Debian Stable). [2]

[1] http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/
[2] http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-preface.en.html
    http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-testing

--
-bill!                         Linux vs Windows studies can be divided into:
bill at newbreedsoftware.com        1. Studies paid for by Microsoft