[NBLUG/talk] vpn via linksys befvp41 router

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Tue Mar 1 14:02:28 PST 2005

Hey, everybody:

I just started a job that uses a VPN to connect machines spread all
over the place, and I would love to be able to connect to the network
from home.  I am losing my MIND trying to figure out how.

The various locations are all linked via Linksys BEFVP41 vpn routers.
I first researched how to just use a software solution with freeswan
(openswan?) and/or racoon.  The available info on the net was (to me,
at least) inpenetrable.

It turns out there were some extra routers available at work, so now I
am trying to go that route (befvp41 -> befvp41).

I actually have 2 routers available:  a version 2 and a version 1 (or
at least I assume it's a 1 - it's not labeled).  I have tried them
both.

My setup at home is like this:

my desktop works as a webserver for a static ip (thru sonic.net) and
also masquerades a laptop on my internal home network.

At work, I grabbed an available tunnel on one of the routers, and then
setup my internal network to 'match' that tunnel on the internal
subnet.  By this I mean that the various nodes around the network use
the tunnel number as the subnet:  a node using #25 uses 192.168.25.0
as it's local network.

Can anyone point me to some coherent documentation that would solve my
problem? I've googled like crazy; I must be asking the wrong
questions!

Thanks in advance.

-dave.

--