[NBLUG/talk] vpn via linksys befvp41 router

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Wed Mar 2 07:26:07 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:43:51PM -0800, Tim Preston wrote:

> True. However, most of the routers won't let you configure them from the
> external interface remotely. Unless you go into the config and
> specificly allow it. Which as Mark mentioned, is risky.
>
> Out of the box my router was set up to allow remote administration from
> the lan port not the wan port. You mentioned you were able to ping the
> 192.168.x.x address of their router. Which leads me to ask is your ip
> range diferent enough to verify that you are seeing the correct router
> interface? Sorry if this sound rudimentary but I don't know your level
> of expertice, the network layout, or how your configs look so far.
>
> Let us know how you do...
>
> Tim

Thanks to Mark and Tim for the replies.  First off, please don't worry
about sounding "rudimentary" or even "as if you are speaking to a dull
child".  I am in a perverse position with regards to networking in
that I find it one of the most interesting topics in Linux while at
the same time, I can't understand most of it.  Some day it will all
make sense...

If I understand your response, Tim, I am trying to access the router's
webpage from the internal network, via 192.168.1.1.

My internal network is set up thusly:

192.168.30.100	    The desktop machine (webserver, firewall)

192.168.30.5	    A laptop that normally gets out through the
		    desktop (via IP masquerade).

As I said previously, the .30 subnet is there to match the tunnel I
chose at work.

192.168.1.1	    This is what I am assuming should be the IP
		    address of the Linksys router.

If I add a route for a 192.168.1.0 subnet, I can ping the router.
(route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0)

If I try to bring the router up via 192.168.1.1 on Firefox (from the
Desktop) it does not connect.

For what it's worth, the hardware is set up thusly (just in case I'm
misunderstanding something...):

Network cable from the DSL modem is connected to the WAN (or
'Internet') port in the Linksys.  Another cable runs from the
desktop's network port to one of the ports in the back of the Linksys.

Thanks again for any clues!  I'll keep tweaking and googling as time
permits.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley