[NBLUG/talk] Wireless configure in Debian

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Thu Mar 3 12:26:02 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:54:07AM -0800, Ian Sutherland wrote:
> How do I start wireless in Debian? I have a connection in Windows and
> Ubuntu. I do not have "Wireless Tools" installed in Debian.

# apt-get install wireless-tools

# iwconfig wlan0 essid "foobear"
# dhclient wlan0

If that works then you can stick a stanza like so in
/etc/network/interfaces:
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid "foobear"

It gets more complicated if wep-keys , etc. are involved.  See 'man
interfaces' and 'man wireless' if necessary.

Of course, all of the above assumes that you're card is recognized and a
driver is being loaded for it.

If not, I would do an 'lsmod' in ubuntu and note the name of the driver
for your card.  Then, in Debian, if it is not being loaded:
# modprobe driver

If that works, add the name of the driver to /etc/modules so that it
will be loaded upon boot.

-troy