[NBLUG/talk] Quick and Dirty KNOPPIX install to HDD

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Mar 18 16:14:31 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:58:38PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> I want to try a KNOPPIX install to HDD with a twist.
>
> I installed DSL (Damn Small Linux) onto the USB key, now I want to install
> KNOPPIX onto the HDD from DSL.
>
> I have partitioned the HDD with my partitions to hold linux and swap space.
>
> I have a USB CDROM that has been mounted as scd0
> KNOPPIX 3.7 CD is mounted onto ~/cdrom.
>
> The compressed KNOPPIX filesystem image from the CDROM has been mounted on
> cloop1.
>
> I am wondering if it will work if I mount /dev/hda1 onto a mount point, copy
> the entire filesystem to hda1, chroot to hda1 and setup the boot loader to
> boot KNOPPIX.
>
> I imagine there is some setup that must occur prior to the thing working....
> Am I on the right track here?  Kyle......? ; )
>
> --
> Mark Street, RHCE
> http://www.oswizards.com
> --
> Key fingerprint = 3949 39E4 6317 7C3C 023E  2B1F 6FB3 06E7 D109 56C0
> GPG key http://www.oswizards.com/pubkey.asc

First of all, is there any particular reason you want to install Knoppix
using this method instead of just booting the Knoppix CD itself and running
"sudo knoppix-installer"? That would be the best way go to about it.

That being said, you are basically on the right track, you copy the
contents of the entire compressed filesystem onto your drive and tweak a
few things and then set up the boot loader.

Those "few things" you need to tweak are things I can't tell you offhand.
You used to do this sort of thing by hand with Knoppix, like you want to
do, but ever since they automated it, I haven't really followed any extra
bits of magic the script does internally.  The best way to figure that
out is to actually read the knoppix-installer script. It's just a basic
bash script and you should be able to reasonably quickly skip past all
the menuing and such to get to the actual copying of the filesystem and
then see what extra things they do.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President