[NBLUG/talk] Quick and Dirty KNOPPIX install to HDD

Steve Johnson gnuguy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:05:56 PST 2005

I've dont this before and it worked, just remember to preserve
ownership and permissions, and not to copy /proc

I would probably use cpio to do this.

cd /knoppis/mnt/point; find . -mount -print0 | cpio -pdmv0 /new/disk/

-Steve

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:58:38 -0800, Mark Street <mark at oswizards.com> wrote:
> I want to try a KNOPPIX install to HDD with a twist.
>
> I installed DSL (Damn Small Linux) onto the USB key, now I want to install
> KNOPPIX onto the HDD from DSL.
>
> I have partitioned the HDD with my partitions to hold linux and swap space.
>
> I have a USB CDROM that has been mounted as scd0
> KNOPPIX 3.7 CD is mounted onto ~/cdrom.
>
> The compressed KNOPPIX filesystem image from the CDROM has been mounted on
> cloop1.
>
> I am wondering if it will work if I mount /dev/hda1 onto a mount point, copy
> the entire filesystem to hda1, chroot to hda1 and setup the boot loader to
> boot KNOPPIX.
>
> I imagine there is some setup that must occur prior to the thing working....
> Am I on the right track here?  Kyle......? ; )
>
> --
> Mark Street, RHCE
> http://www.oswizards.com
> --
> Key fingerprint = 3949 39E4 6317 7C3C 023E  2B1F 6FB3 06E7 D109 56C0
> GPG key http://www.oswizards.com/pubkey.asc

      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu
|C8H10N4O2|