[NBLUG/talk] Mepis mini-mini review

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:41:27 PST 2005

> As for enlightenment, don't forget that it is lighter, and faster than either
> KDE or Gnome. I've used it exclusively for about 18 months now on a modern
> full horsepowered desktop. Once you've configured it for your needs, going
> back to KDE or Gnome feels like having to crank start your car for every
> trip.

I've actually considered using Enlightenment as the WM for KDE or
Gnome ... Anybody played with this? Supposedly Red Hat has used
Enlightenment as the default WM under Gnome; if so, then it must work
reasonably well.

Enlightenment.org says that Enlightenment works under KDE except that
some programs that should run inside the kicker spawn new (tiny)
windows instead. I briefly tried E under KDE, and even that seemed to
work (but at the time I wasn't really in the mood to experiment
further).

BTW, I'd give up KDE entirely, but I'm still running KSetiWatch. :-)
I'm on dial-up, so I need to manually tell Seti at Home when to
upload/download stuff, and having the Kicker icon is the only way I
remember to do this often enough. Anybody know of a similar client
that doesn't need KDE? (Yes, I know you can run KDE apps outside of
KDE; I'm not in the mood to go there.) Heck, how about one for folding
proteins (I forget the name of the organization) instead of tracking
aliens? That seems like a better cause to me. :-)

William