[NBLUG/talk] Mepis mini-mini review

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Mon Mar 21 19:24:54 PST 2005

> Yeah ... I'm staying away from Ubuntu because I can't get used to the
> idea of not being able to log in as root. :-P I've had lots of
> experience with programs (Firefox and YaST come to mind) that are
> unable to connect to the X server if you run them via su or sudo as a
> different user than you are logged in to X as.
>
> That may be just something funny with SuSE, though. I haven't really
> played enough with Debian to tell if it has similar problems.
>
> William

I've had the same problem of not being able to log in to X as root since my
latest KDM upgrade. I thought it was something unique I had screwed up.

As for enlightenment, don't forget that it is lighter, and faster than either
KDE or Gnome. I've used it exclusively for about 18 months now on a modern
full horsepowered desktop. Once you've configured it for your needs, going
back to KDE or Gnome feels like having to crank start your car for every
trip.

Bob