Distributed computing projects (was Re: [NBLUG/talk] Mepis mini-mini review)

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Thu Mar 24 14:43:18 PST 2005

> Heck, how about one for folding proteins (I forget the name of
> the organization) instead of tracking
> aliens? That seems like a better cause to me. :-)

Mersenne.org (GIMPS, not The GIMP) just announced (well, last month
they announced) a new record-setting Mersenne Prime,  2^25,964,951 - 1
It's a half-million or so digits larger than the prior record-holder.

I think you're thinking of "folding at home" though...
http://folding.stanford.edu

(Google is Your Friend: "distributed computing" + "protein folding")

I wish all those projects would join a webring or some such...  ;-)

(Google is MY friend, too:  "distributed computing webring" suggests
there ARE such resources, eg "distributedcomputing.info" and the
"BOINC Projects" page at http://f.webring.com/go?ring=setigroups)

- Steve S.