Distributed computing projects (was Re: [NBLUG/talk] Mepis mini-mini review)

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Thu Mar 24 15:06:55 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 02:43:18PM -0800, S. Saunders wrote:
}
} > Heck, how about one for folding proteins (I forget the name of
} > the organization) instead of tracking
} > aliens? That seems like a better cause to me. :-)
}
} Mersenne.org (GIMPS, not The GIMP) just announced (well, last month
} they announced) a new record-setting Mersenne Prime,  2^25,964,951 - 1
} It's a half-million or so digits larger than the prior record-holder.
}
} I think you're thinking of "folding at home" though...
} http://folding.stanford.edu
}
} (Google is Your Friend: "distributed computing" + "protein folding")
}
} I wish all those projects would join a webring or some such...  ;-)

This page lists most of the distributed projects:
http://distributedcomputing.info/projects.html

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us