[NBLUG/talk] debian newbie apt-get question

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Thu Mar 31 07:36:55 PST 2005

Hi Bill. Thanks for replying.

I forgot to mention this is a knoppix hdinstall machine, so that's
probably the cause of all of it.

On 31 Mar 2005 at 1:59, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Had you used any other apt- tools, or deselect recently?

No, I had just run apt-get update and apt-cache search, with nothing
unexpected happening.

> Does it look like it wants to remove stuff if you do:
>
>   apt-get update

No, just updates the list.

>   apt-get -u upgrade

Says it wants to upgrade 2 packages, mpg321 and pcmcia-cs.

So I don't really understand why it wants to rip out 50 important
packages to install dialog.

Maybe I'm forced to use tarballs when apt-get doesn't work on a
knoppix install.

Thanks,

Bob