[NBLUG/talk] Hello

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Fri Nov 4 14:37:42 PST 2005

Art Hampton wrote:

> What was a reasonably brisk machine now is a slow slug. C'mon!! What
> the F is going on here? All I do is a little typing, a spreadsheet now
> and then and surf a bit. What is the advantage of the new and bloated
> OS? When Unix was invented did they have machines with 256 megabytes
> of ram? I don't think so...
> Art

Hey, Art:

Welcome.  I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I'm
wondering if the group could comment on how OpenOffice is evolving.
OpenOffice has often been labeled as slow and I wonder if a change in OO
might be what you're describing, rather than bloat in the OS as a whole.

I use 2 machines:  a Dell (Dimension 2300 with 512 ram) and a laptop
(IBM g40 ThinkPad, 256 ram), both running Fedora Core 4.  The laptop is
usually a bit faster than the desktop, but when it comes to starting
OpenOffice, the laptop takes forever.  It wasn't always so bad, but
either my switch to FC4 or one of the subsequent OpenOffice upgrades has
really slowed it down, as far as OO is concerned.

It takes about 3 minutes to open on my laptop, and about 20 seconds on
my desktop.  I've tried tweaking some of the OO configurations, but it
hasn't helped.  I know that at one point my laptop was running prelink,
but I turned that off because it would slow everything down for a couple
of minutes while it loaded.

Anyone have any tips or info?  Or do we need a Gig of ram to run
OpenOffice 2?

-dave.