[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Tue Nov 29 01:47:01 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 12:17:33AM -0800, Stephen Cilley wrote:
> I can't say in particular, but one of the things as a
> complete newbie I find myself asking over and over
> again is, what's the REAL difference between all of
> these distros.  I realize that that's probably the
> whole point of the round table, but I'm afraid I'll
> get the same answers I've been getting: too general
> and vague, stuff like, "It's great for media and it's
> really low overhead."

Well, we're covering quite the mix of distributions, and they're all
definitely geared to their own subset of users...so you'll get at least
some answers.

> So, in short, this is my one request: I'd like to SEE
> all of the key differences demonstrated on the screen.
>  I'd really appreciate a petting zoo after everybody
> is done speaking; it'd be cool to be able to have
> access to 10 different laptops afterward all with a
> different distro.

Aaron (who is covering Gentoo) suggested hands on  also.  Logistically
it would be tough though, because of the fact that the alarms at
O'Reilly will go off if we don't get out of there on time.  But I'll see
what the rest of the panel thinks.   I'll also see what people think
about having a few demo machines setup at the next installfest.

> Anyway, I realize that's not terribly specific.
> Sorry.

No, this is very helpful. Really.  Thanks for the input :)

-troy