[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue Nov 29 16:47:51 PST 2005

It's probably just my issues with a 24x80 display limitation. I don't like
little screens. When I generally open up a window it's usually pretty big
with small characters. I like seeing a lot of whatever I'm working on.
Oftentimes this means two fullscreen comandline windows in each monitor
and a really long one streched over both monitors and perhaps a couple
little ones.

I do prefer a GUI install interface. Recently I drifted into the package
selection interface and found it completely non obvious. I'm probably a
little spoiled, but I think that well designed software should be easy to
use without an accompaning manual. But then linux both does and does not
meet that specification in general. Some distros, you can easily navigate
and then boot up the system and start doing stuff. Debian isn't quite
there. It's close, but not quite. Red hat felt pretty good. Mandrake felt
pretty good. Slackware was much worse than debian last I tried it(PIIs
were hot).