[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Tue Nov 29 16:50:46 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:29:50PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:20:27PM -0800, Walter Hansen wrote:
> > Debian install sucks.
>
> I've heard this a lot, in the past, and today.  I'm curious why people
> say it, though.  I've installed it on a number of machines, and it seemed
> pretty straight forward.  *shrug*

The Sarge installer does not suck.  If you judge such things on
attractivness, then you might think so, but not if you judge things on
getting the job done.  The Sarge installer may not be pretty, but it has
good hardware detection, does LVM and RAID and doesn't back you into
corners with the only way out being a push of the reset button.  To me,
that's a good installer.

The Debian developers are working on a GUI installer for Etch.  Maybe
when that hits it will magically no longer suck.

-troy