[NBLUG/talk] [OT?] Static DHCP leases from a LinkSys router?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Apr 21 12:59:18 PDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 12:54:19PM -0700, matt wrote:
> "Static DHCP assignments" are kind of an oxymoron. Either you use the DHCP and
> have the IPs assigned dynamically, or you configure the machine (not the
> router) to use a static IP. If you don't want your IP to change every so
> often (id est, when the lease runs out), configure it to use a static IP
> like .5 or something (as everyone else has mentioned). You should never even
> have to touch the router.

I set my house with with static DHCP assignments so that outsiders can come
in and plug in laptops/etc. and get on the network easily...  which can
be done w/o doing static DHCP for the household machines, of course.

But more importantly, I set my wife's laptop up to _always_ ask for an IP
address over DHCP.  So when she's at a friend's house, she can get online
w/o doing much of anything.  But when she's at home, she's always guaranteed
the same IP address, so I can get in/out of her machine remotely for admin
purposes, and so that she can get access to priveledge things on the LAN,
such as printer and scanner...

But...  I'm no network guru, so maybe this was a stupid decision. ;)

-bill!