[NBLUG/talk] OT: Anyone ever replaced a battery in a UPS?

Tim Preston timp at sonic.net
Sun Dec 10 12:13:43 PST 2006

IMHO, test and replace (the battery), first. Then, look into replacing
the unit as a last resort. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Some things to look for are the ability for the unit to sustain
prolonged battery use without damaging the inverter. Small home UPSs may
not like the constant on off use. Like cheap surge suppressors, one good
surge and they need replacing. Chargers also fail. check to see if the
unit is still providing juice to keep the battery topped off. Usually
around 14v with low battery, less when the battery is near full.
Finally, batteries do fail. Type and material makes a big difference for
batteries. When replacing batteries, check around for what types are
available and how they may prolong your use.

APC units are generally strong units that can last many battery changes.
Some new "off brand" units are also solid and can be revived with fresh
batteries.

Currently I am working toward a solar sustaining system. I only have a
few devices and could easily purchase a big battery (or two), Sine-wave
inverter, and a couple solar panels. This provides very flexible use of
emergency power and keeps the power bill down when running equipment 24/7.

Tim