[NBLUG/talk] OT: Anyone ever replaced a battery in a UPS?

Mark Janes 707mjanes at comcast.net
Sun Dec 10 12:23:14 PST 2006

Robert Hayes wrote:
> Seems the battery in my years old UPS just died.
>
> We have voltage drops here regularly during the winter.
>
> Normally the UPS chirps and the world goes on as it should.
>
> Yesterday, however, the UPS chirped, the PC reset.  Yikes.
>
> Now when I hold the test button on the UPS I just get a rapidly declining
> beeeeep to nothing. Sounds a lot like R2-D2 dying.
>
> What's the conventional wisdom on this topic? My unit has a small battery,
> like a motorcycle. Do people replace the cells, or is the whole thing
> recycled and replaced?
>
> TIA
>
> Robert

IMHO, you should be able to replace the battery without replacing the
entire unit. I googled the make and model of my UPS and came up with
several options, for around $30, to replace the battery in my unit. If
you've removed the old battery then replacing it should be simple. Mine
is a CyberPower power99, just enough to keep my home system alive long
enough to do a controlled shutdown. It's not the most popular (or
newest) UPS out there- APC, Belkin and TrippLite seem to hold that
honor- but a battery is readily available for mine and should be for
most others. You might also want to go to your UPS manufacturer's
website to see if they offer any help in battery replacement (CyberPower
does not- they apparently want people to replace the whole unit :-( ).

Hope this helps.

Mark Janes