[NBLUG/talk] GBLD (or similar)?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Feb 8 16:13:21 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:54:46PM -0800, S. Saunders wrote:
> OTOH, the Installfest page explicitly lists ONLY
> RedHat, Debian, & SuSE (??? Really?), so maybe

That page needs an update, actually...

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Mandriva definitely both belong on that list.  Probably
Fedora, too.

The primary purpose of InstallFests (from the perspective of NBLUG) has been
to help people new to Linux get a Linux distribution appropriate for
learning about Linux onto their system; if somebody wants a server or
something really unusual, our goal is probably more to get them an easy
"typical" installation so they can use it to learn enough to do the unusual
stuff themselves.

Getting somebody able to play games on their linux box definitely goes along
with our purposes.  Or any other "application".

We will generally try to help with other things than the official support
list.  For instance, apparently I helped somebody with a FreeBSD install
once.  However, some things we just can't do.  The "full" Gentoo
installation where every last component is compiled just takes too long, so
it's simply impossible to do at an installfest.  And I wouldn't generally
recommend Gentoo for the beginners we're trying to help at InstallFests.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder, Scribe and InstallFest Coordinator