[NBLUG/talk] A Non-linux Hardware Question

Chris Palmer chris at eff.org
Mon Jan 2 11:45:20 PST 2006

Stephen Cilley writes:

> Thanks for the tip.  About how large should the blocks be, in your
> estimation?

That's an empirical question. NTFS has "cluster" sizes up to 64KB, but I
can't tell you how different settings will affect performance. I'm a
rank Windows beginner, sadly.

You should just try a bunch of different settings and run benchmarks
that resemble your application load as closely as possible, and compare
results.

But don't go down a rathole with it. Set a goal ("I want the first level
of Doom 3 to load in under 5 seconds"), and stop tinkering once you've
acheived it.

--
https://www.eff.org/about/staff/#chris_palmer