[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:48:06 PST 2006

My bad. I realized that I was doing something funny with the host
machine's address after I sent that email.

I wasn't running the DHCP client on the server. :-P At any rate,
SSHing into the broadcast address actually *does* work ... somehow.

> Now, for the Ethernet interfaces. If you can access the Internet
> or have your Debian install disks with you, this will be easy.
> Just apt-get install etherconf. As it installs, it will ask you
> questions about your network. For now, just choose for the
> interface(s) to receive their configuration(s) from the DHCP
> server. Do this on both the desktop and laptop. If, at any time,
> you want to re-run the etherconf configuration, just run (as
> root) "dpkg-reconfigure etherconf".

etherconf wants dhcp-client, which conflicts with dhcp3-client. :-P At
any rate, I've already gotten it working manually on my laptop, so I
just repeated the operation on the desktop (the comments in the
default config file are actually pretty helpful!).

I have no idea if I'm actually gaining anything with DHCP3. :-P

> Edit /etc/hosts to set what you want.

What I was wanting to do was just find what the IP address was on the
network of the box I was sitting at, and probably had the wrong
program to do that. ifconfig eth0 seems to spit out the right
information, at any rate.

... And it's WORKING! :-) I can SSH back and forth! Thanks a lot, everybody.

William