[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:37:23 PST 2006

*Whew* he finally stopped bugging--no! The madness continues! :-)

I'm hoping now to get the desktop to do IP forwarding (it's already
running DHCPD). Presumably, that would be easier to do with a static
IP address. :-) So, /etc/network/interfaces is set to:

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0

Now, when the box boots, it grabs a dynamic address from DHCP. ifdown
eth0; ifup eth0 gets it going on 10.0.0.1, like I want.

Um, what the heck is going on? Why is it grabbing a dynamic IP on boot
and a static IP if I restart networking manually?

... Maybe soon I'll get enough working to stop bugging everyone. ;-)

Thanks,
William