[NBLUG/talk] Concerning Linux compatibility with the new MacBook Pro

Chris Palmer chris at eff.org
Mon Jan 16 11:13:42 PST 2006

Aaron Grattafiori wrote:

> I think apple should spend a lot of money adding a bizillion (technical
> term) drivers to its OS (on some kinda CD maybe) and releaseing OS X for
> non-apple hardware...

No business would willingly commodify their viable-as-premium product --
especially at their own expense! When the markets closed on Friday,
Apple was worth more than Dell, even though they have lower sales
volume. They're doing something right.

One thing that may be counter-intuitive to Linux people is that Apple is
selling an experience just as much as they are selling computers. The
experience is one of aesthetic integrity and smooth ease of use. A
whitebox PC with a CD full of device drivers cannot provide that
experience, no matter what operating system you use.

In other news, Macs are sometimes cheaper than comparable PCs. I wanted
to get a 12" ThinkPad to run Debian for work, but Apple gave me more
hardware (DVD burner, faster CPU, I think more RAM) at a comparable
price point for the PowerBook. I was surprised to learn this, too -- I
had assumed the PowerBook would be the or nearly the most expensive
computer in its class.