[NBLUG/talk] Concerning Linux compatibility with the new MacBook Pro

Aaron Grattafiori nite at sonic.net
Mon Jan 16 11:42:14 PST 2006

Chris Palmer wrote:

>Aaron Grattafiori wrote:
>

>>I think apple should spend a lot of money adding a bizillion (technical
>>term) drivers to its OS (on some kinda CD maybe) and releaseing OS X for
>>non-apple hardware...
>>

>No business would willingly commodify their viable-as-premium product --
>especially at their own expense! When the markets closed on Friday,
>Apple was worth more than Dell, even though they have lower sales
>volume. They're doing something right.

The amount of people that have ipods continues to amaze me. A lot of
those people would be willing to try OS X on their computer, if not want
to buy a mac already... but they don't have the money for a new apple
computer. (They should go out and buy mac mini's... damn good deal for
lots of 'home/small office' users I think.) So.. while I understand and
accept your point, if apple was to become a software company, I'd be a
very intresting new market. (not that i know much about 'markets' heh...)

>One thing that may be counter-intuitive to Linux people is that Apple is
>selling an experience just as much as they are selling computers. The
>experience is one of aesthetic integrity and smooth ease of use. A
>whitebox PC with a CD full of device drivers cannot provide that
>experience, no matter what operating system you use.

Yeah thats true. Apple sells the apple experiance.
I guess I just want to get more people off windows... There are so many
people out there that thing spyware, viruses, crashing and weird
problems are just part of the 'computer experiance'.... We don't have a
lot of people that can use computers, we have a lot of people that just
remember what to click in windows to get things to work. They know the
street names to get to work... not the entire town layout. Which isn't
required I'll agree. Vista/IE 7 will help, but its still microsoft.

 OS X is a good choice for the non-power user, with linux being the next
choice.