[NBLUG/talk] Deja-vu with apt-get database errors

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Jan 20 17:02:41 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 04:56:35PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I seem to remember that I had this problem when I once installed Debian/Woody
> and subsequently tried to upgrade to Debian/Sarge.  I'm now running
> Debian/Etch, and I seem to have encountered the same problem.  And now I
> can't remember how I fixed the problem the first time!
>
> The relevant output from apt-get is:
>
> Reading package lists...
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> E: Error occurred while processing libdbi-ocaml (NewVersion1)
> E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "unstable";
APT::Cache-Limit "167772162";

The Cache-Limit is what you need.  Don't ask about the weird number, I
copied it from a post on debian-user and left it alone.

Also, remember that if you're dist-upgrading, that its wise to upgrade apt
first, *then* do the dist-upgrade.

-t