[NBLUG/talk] WEP with debian laptop

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Fri Jul 14 14:31:46 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 01:47:58PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
} E Frank Ball wrote on Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:50:12 -0700:
}
} > OK I got the wireless card working with WEP by using this
} > command:
} >
} > iwconfig eth0 essid XXXXXXXXXXXXXX key XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
} >
} > Can this be put in a config file somewhere?
} >
} > } } don't tell me to edit
} > } } /etc/network/interfaces, that does nothing.
}
} Actually, /etc/network/interfaces *is* where you'd put this
} stuff. Have a look at this HOWTO:
} http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Debian_rt2500_Howto
} It's for a different card than yours, but the wireless
} configuration stuff applies to all wireless adapters on
} Debian-like systems. And that ifrename tip looks interesting,
} too. Could be useful on a box with several network interfaces.

There are two ways networking can be done in Debian.
/etc/network/interfaces is one one way /etc/pcmcia/network.opts is the
other.  I use "the other" and the interfaces file does nothing.  I had
already tried that.  I don't know how to switch things over from the
pcmcia method to the network/interfaces method.

  Frank Ball  frankb at frankb.us