[NBLUG/talk] on-board NIC problem

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 28 13:22:09 PDT 2006

Sean wrote:
> So far I have been unable to find any Linux drivers for this, although
> I do know that it works under a Gentoo box that is used by a friend of
> mine. I was told that running "modprobe -m forcedeth" would cause it
> to work, but nothing happened. The device does not show up under the
> device list (/dev).

Unlike other devices, network devices do not show up under /dev.

Try running "lsmod" on your computer and your friend's computer, and see
which modules your friend has loaded that you don't.  One of them is
likely to be the NIC driver you're looking for.

If all else fails, I seem to remember that HSC Electronics has some
older 3Com NIC's that work in just about any Linux box.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

A prohibitionist is the sort of man one wouldn't care to drink with
-- even if he drank.
		-- H. L. Mencken